Restoration of the
Moseley School of Art Project
The Restoration Project will preserve what is important about Moseley School of Art, retain its historic character, conserve its significant Bidlake fabric and provide the opportunity to reveal and interpret the building’s history.
To ensure the building’s sustainability the project has created rental spaces for private functions and shared office and work spaces for small businesses and other local charities which will provide an income for the Association and enable the generation of funds to maintain the historic fabric long term.
It is intended that these spaces will be occupied by companies or charities whose work is based in the creative arts industry.
The aims and vision of The Restoration of Moseley School of Art Project include:
- Reconnecting the building to its heritage as a centre for creativity and inclusivity.
- Developing peoples understanding of the building’s history and significance, through the use of appropriate interpretation, including how the Moseley Muslim Community Association’s use of the building has added a new chapter to its story.
- Bringing together people from various ethnic and cultural backgrounds to enable them to learn about each other’s cultures and help make a positive contribution to the feelings of connectedness, and community pride of local people.
- Delivering a programme of learning and participation opportunities designed to encourage new and underrepresented local audiences to engage with arts and heritage.
- Improving and extending visitor facilities, including the installation of new toilets and refurbishing the kitchen which was no longer fully fit for purpose which will enable community use to be increased.
- Creating new flexible learning and temporary gallery and exhibition spaces, adapted to show art works and temporary exhibitions that are physically and culturally accessible to all members of the community.
- Creating new opportunities for volunteering encouraging people to develop new skills, be active and contribute to their community
- The repair and restoration of the School’s imposing Moseley Road façade
- Retaining the layout of Bidlake’s original entrance hall, to provide a sense of continuity and contribute to a greater understanding of its significance.